Tuesday, October 8, 2019

High Point Mump-iversity

Image result for high point university mumpsMumps. High Point University has the mumps. So does Elon with six confirmed cases, but I don't go there, so it's not as relevant to me. As per the last official email from Campus Concierge, there were eleven confirmed cases on campus. As is to be expected with any campus-wide event like this, there will always be talk and rumors about what is happening. I heard a rumor saying that there were forty-two (42) students in quarantine, but again, this is just a rumor. The quarantine is set up for people who show symptoms, but haven't officially been diagnosed with mumps yet. There was even a girl in one of my classes who had it.Other rumors include that students might be evacuated from campus, a rumor that we might not be allowed to leave campus, and another rumor that HPU might extend fall break to allow for the campus to be sanitized.

HPU is also providing booster shots on campus this week, and I am sure most everybody will be getting one. I will, despite my hatred for needles. In addition to these booster shots, High Point University has also sent out precautions to take to reduce the chance that students will contract it. "It is important to remember that mumps is a virus, transmitted very similarly to the flu or other diseases spread by droplets in the air. The recommendations for reducing the spread of mumps are similar to the steps we take to avoid the flu." You can help prevent the virus from spreading by:

  • Covering your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and putting your used tissue in the trash can. If you don't have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow, not your hands
  • Washing your hands often with soap and water
  • Avoiding sharing objects that might have saliva on them, like water bottles or cups. Do not share drinks, cigarettes or other nicotine devices
  • Disinfecting frequently touched surfaces, such as doorknobs, tables and counters
I know everybody on campus is worried about it, even though they may not show it. Everyone is aware what is going on, and I hope everyone takes the necessary steps to prevent it from spreading further. I myself am not that worried about getting it, but I know there is always a possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment